1st FRIENDLY MATCH OF 2016 |
FC Red Bull Salzburg V LASK LINZ
DATE: Saturday 16 January 2016
LOCATION: Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy Liefering
KICK-OFF TIME: 14:00 CET
In the first friendly match under new coach Oscar Garcia, FC Red Bull Salzburg put in a good performance against LASK Linz on a well-heated pitch to win 2-1 (H/T: 1-1). The Red Bulls were particularly impressive in the second half, bearing in mind they have only been back in training for a week.
The Red Bulls goals were scored by Smail Prevljak (10') and Valon Berisha (47').
LASK Linz's goal was scored by former Liefering player Nikola Dovedan.
Smail Prevljak just before the first Salzburg goal
A very young FC Red Bull Salzburg team were in action for the first half, with the club from Linz who are chasing promotion to the Austrian top flight proving to be thoroughly decent opponents.
The Red Bulls were under threat on the visitors' first attack. Shortly afterwards, former Liefering man Nikola Dovedan put Linz into the lead after chasing down alone on Cican Stankovic in goal.
The equaliser came after the ball was passed from player to player, going from Omer Damari and Valentino Lazaro and to Smail Prevljak, who netted. Before the break Duje Caleta-Car (on the rebound after a Damari volley) and Valentino Lazaro (a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area after Andreas Ulmer was fouled) both had good chances to take the lead.
Oscar Garcia brought ten new players on for the second half (only Andreas Ulmer,
who was captain in the first half, remained on the pitch) who turned the pressure on straight away.
Valon Berisha soon put Salzburg into the lead with a superb effort with his left foot.
With Linz rarely able to threaten the Salzburg target after the break, Jonatan Soriano and Valon Berisha had further opportunities to extend the lead.
Friendly v LASK - 14 Images
Friendly v LASK - 14 Images
Oscar Garcia: "I am pleased with the performance my team showed today after just a week of training. You could see though that we were a little tired due to how hard the training has been, but our intensity was quite fine at this early stage of the preparation period."
Valon Berisha: "We have won our first friendly match. That's always good. The preparation period has just started, and we still have a lot of work to do and lots of hard training to be ready for the start of the season."
Andreas Ulmer captained the side in the first half
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
- This was the first friendly match of 2016 under new coach Oscar Garcia and his coaching team.
- Around 300 spectators were at the friendly match at the Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy in Liefering.
- Andi Ulmer was captain of the team in the first half.
- Not in action were the injured trio of Christoph Leitgeb, Yordy Reyna and Reinhold Yabo as well as the ill Naby Keita.
- Hany Mukhtar also had to sit it out due to a strain he picked up in training.
- Takumi Minamino and Hee Chan Hwang were out due to their participation in the U23 Asian championship.
- Minamino is therefore celebrating his 21st birthday today with the Japanese under-23 team in Qatar. The entire FC Red Bull Salzburg team wish him a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
LINE-UP & SUBSTITUTIONS
FC Red Bull Salzburg: Stankovic (46' Walke); Lainer (45' Schwegler), Upamecano (46' Miranda), Caleta-Car (46' Sörensen), Ulmer; Lazaro (46' Berisha), Schmitz (46' Bernardo), Laimer (46' Pehlivan), Okugawa (46' Atanga); Damari (46' Oberlin), Prevljak (46' Soriano)