3rd FRIENDLY MATCH | 2016
FC Red Bull Salzburg V FK MLADA BOLESLAV
DATE: Friday 29 January 2016
LOCATION: Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy Liefering
KICK-OFF TIME: 17:00
On the final weekend before the Austrian tipico Bundesliga restarts, FC Red Bull Salzburg are playing two back-to-back friendly matches.
The Red Bulls lost the first of these 0-1 to FK Mlada Boleslav, who are currently fourth in the Czech league.
The Czech side's goal was scored by Jiri Skalak.
The second friendly match takes place on Saturday 30 January 2016 at 14:00 v SV Sandhausen at the Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy.
A very young FC Red Bull Salzburg team, in which Stefan Lainer at age 23 was the experienced hand, performed increasingly well after taking a little while to get going. They had at least three good opportunities falling to Lainer (6'), Bernardo (16') and Asger Sörensen (57').
There were some other good moves from Salzburg that just lacked a little cutting-edge. At the other end of the field, the Salzburg defence was only called into action once before the break, when Cican Stankovic saved from Skalak at short-range.
Milan Baros, the most famous player on the Czech side's team sheet, having won the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool in 2004/2005, was also well under control.
After the break, the Czechs became more dangerous and had a few opportunities to take the lead, which they finally made count shortly before the end. Smail Prevljak, who hit the crossbar, and David Atanga should have put the Red Bulls into the lead before then, however.
In a very intensive game on the whole, Boleslav's Scuk was shown a red card shortly before full-time for dissent.
Oscar Garcia: "If you have five clear scoring chances that you don't convert, then it is tough to beat any opponent. Physically our very young team competed well today, but there just needs to be more accuracy with finishing and the final ball."
Stefan Lainer: "Even if we were narrowly beaten, it was a good friendly match for us on the whole. Of course it is somewhat annoying that we let the game slip out of our grasp. We should have used one of our good chances, particularly before the break."
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE
- This was the penultimate friendly match before the tipico BL resumes in 2016.
- Around 400 spectators came to watch the friendly match at the Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy in Liefering.
- Today's friendly match saw 14 players in the Red Bulls' squad, who all played a part. The remaining players in the squad will be given a chance for some match practice in tomorrow's friendly v SV Sandhausen (14:00, Red Bull Football & Ice Hockey Academy Liefering).
- Not in action today due to injury were Christoph Leitgeb, Reinhold Yabo and Yordy Reyna (all knee), along with Omer Damari and Xaver Schlager (both with adductor injuries).
- Milan Baros is the most famous player on the Czech side's team sheet, with the 34-year-old having won the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool in 2004/2005.
LINE-UP & SUBSTITUTIONS
FC Red Bull Salzburg: Stankovic; Lainer, Upamecano, Sörensen, Schmitz; Lazaro, Bernardo, Pedro (72' Okugawa), Berisha; Oberlin, Prevljak (70' Atanga).