Young Salzburg side knocked out by FC Midtjylland in quarter-final

Young Bulls knocked out on penalties in quarter final

Gerhard Struber's young Salzburg team were today beaten by FC Midtjylland on penalties in the quarter-final, having drawn 1-1 at full-time. The Young Bulls are now to play Red Bull Brasil for fifth spot in their home tournament tomorrow, after the Brazilians saw off Sagan Tosu.

The final is to be held at 15:00 CET tomorrow between Manchester City and Benfica.


Valencia made a spirited start and found themselves 1-0 up after just three minutes. Benfica appeared to be shocked and needed some time to take in the setback. Having survived more pressure from Valencia, the Portuguese youngsters increasingly got into gear. They got a not undeserved equaliser after 16 minutes from Cordeiro de Oliveira. As the game went on it become one of numerous attacking moments, with Benfica the more active team. The Portuguese continued on the front foot in the second half and took a deserved 2-1 lead. Cordeiro de Oliveira added a third at the end of the game to knock out a strong Valencia side to book a date with Manchester City in the final.


Manchester City made a blistering start, fashioning their first top chance after a few minutes, which they didn't use. The Danes proved more clinical with their first opportunity, taking the lead after six minutes. The young Citizens didn't allow conceding to knock them out of their stride, and continued to play courageous attacking football. D’Margio Wright-Philipps and Cole Palmer both threatened Valdemar Thorsten's goal, only for the Danish shotstopper to deny them. Things continued in this vein for the second period. The Blues upped the pressure even more, and finally got their reward, with Cole Palmer striking in the 28th minute to level things. Manchester City hunted a second goal to win the semi in regular time, but in the end it all went to penalties. After a dramatic shoot-out, it is the English youngsters who made the Next Generation Trophy final.

5-8th place play-offs: FC RED BULL SALZBURG 1-0 RB LEIPZIG (0-0)

Leipzig enjoyed the better of the opening minutes, threatening for the first time after two minutes and posing a danger down the flanks. They created the better opportunities in the initial phase, but were continually denied by the Salzburg defence. As the game went on, Gerhard Struber's youngsters got more into the game and were a major danger on quick breaks. Either team could have grabbed the lead just before half-time, with the hosts not able to finish their chance and a Jacob Ruhner goal for Leipzig being ruled out for offside. Ultimately it was Salzburg who were able to break the deadlock shortly after the break. Chikwubuike Adamu scored a spectacular goal with the outside of his boot inside the far post to make it 1-0. Leipzig then headed forward to hunt an equaliser, which left more space for Salzburg. Chikwubuike Adamu had another two good chances, but it remained 1-0 to Salzburg.

Gerhard Struber:

As a coach it pleased me greatly that my team were able to show again against Leipzig what they can do after the disappointing narrow defeat against Midtjylland. We remained faithful to the style of football we want to play, we dominated the match in every stage and ultimately took a well-deserved win. Even if we are only playing for fifth place tomorrow, we will give our all again.


5-8th place play-offs: SAGAN TOSU 1-2 RED BULL BRASIL (0-1)

RB Brasil took charge of the game right from the start and had a few good moments early on. Wingman Tavares kept on appearing in the Japanese penalty area. De Souza Brito crowned the good start with an opening goal after just ten minutes. With the lead behind them, the Brazilians let the ball move from player to player and kept things tidy at the back. Sanchez Redivo doubled the lead at the start of the second half to seal the win. Sagan Tosu then gave their all, but the Brazilians remained the most threatening team. The Japanese youngsters did manage to get a goal back just before the end, albeit too late on to endanger the result.

9–12th place play-offs: NEW YORK RED BULLS 2-0 WEST AFRICAN FOOTBALL ACADEMY (0-0)
goalscorers: Taylor (2)

The torrential rain made an entertaining spectacle unlikely from the start. The Africans had more of the play, but struggled create chances. The game became a real midfield battle, with the New Yorkers finally getting the upper hand. Scott Taylor struck twice for a 2-0 lead that they held onto well.

9–12th place play-offs: FC CUKARICKI 1-2 SV WERDER BREMEN (0-2).
goalscorers: Vidosavljevic - Teifel, Weickert (pen)

Werder Bremen started well and got an early lead thanks to Cem Teifel. The Germans were the much better team, dominating proceedings and making it 2-0 with a Weickert penalty. Shortly before half-time, the Serbs missed a big chance to pull back as Milutin Vidosavljevic fired a fraction wide. Bremen continued to control the match, sitting back and relying on breaks in the final stages as they surrendered space to FC Cukaricki, who did get a goal back but ultimately lost 1-2.

quarter final 4: valencia CF 1-0 red bull brasil (H/T:1-0)
GOALSCORER: Touaizi; RED CARD: de Souza Figuiredo (denying goalscoring opportunity)

Red Bull Brasil penned the Spaniards back in their own half to begin with, without really threatening. Valenica resorted to quick breaks, which were continually channeled through central midfielder Kangin Lee. The Spaniards attacked well down the left after around 15 minutes of play, and took the lead with a well-placed shot inside the far post. The South Americans then took a riskier approach, but were unable to beat a strong Valencia goalkeeper, who kept his team in the game with a spectacular punched clearance, among other saves. Red Bull Brasil were reduced to ten men in the final stages when Luis Phelipe de Souza Figueiredo was sent off.

QUARTER FINAL 3: manchester city Fc 1-1 rb leipzig, Man city win 18-17 on penalties
GOALSCORERS: McDonald - Bias. Red card: Duncan (dissent)

Leipzig turned the pressure on at the start of the quarter final, taking an early lead with Oliver Bias, before Dennis Borkowski almost beat the Man City goalkeeper. The German youngsters closed down space in the middle extremely well, forcing Manchester City down the flanks, where they were unable to create any real chances. Bobby Duncan was sent off in the second half to leave things looking dire for the English side. They fought back bravely though to get an equaliser and force a penalty shoot-out, which proved to be a nerve-racking epic - Manchester City winning it 19-18.

quarter-final 2: benfica 2-0 sagan tosu (1-0)
goalscorers: Correia (pen), Saldanha de Morais (pen)

Benfica tried to cleverly pass their way through the Japanese defence, although Sagan Tosu were able to deny the Portuguese youngsters when they needed to. Pentra Correia hit the crossbar from a well-taken corner. The Japanese team struggled to find any chances to get the ball up field, and conceded from the penalty spot before the break. Benfica proved extremely comfortable on the ball during the second half, making it impossible for the Japanese to get back into the game. The Japanese goalkeeper was called on several times to keep his team in it, but Benfica added a second from a penalty at the end.


QUARTER-FINAL 1: FC Red Bull Salzburg 1-1 FC Midtjylland, Midtjylland win 4-3 on penalties (0-1)
GOALSCORERS: Adamu - Anker

Midtjylland enjoyed the better start, dominating the early play. Salzburg battled back and etched out an advantage, plus a few good opportunities, as the first half progressed. They were denied a clear penalty shout before a spot kick was awarded at the other end shortly before half-time. Tobias Anker stepped up to slot the ball in and make it 1-0 to Midtjylland. The Young Bulls started the second half better and pushed for an equaliser, which they got from Chikwubuike Adamu. In the final stages a fierce long-range Salzburg effort hit the bar - and penalties were required to separate the teams. After a dramatic shoot-out, hosts Salzburg exited at the hands of FC Midtjylland.

Gerhard Struber:

Of course we were confident going into the quarter-final, as we wanted to build on our performances from yesterday and compete for the title again. Unfortunately we went behind against the Danes, and that knocked us out of our stride a little. We deservedly equalised in the second half, but we weren't able to win it in the final minutes, being unfortunate to hit the crossbar. Penalty shoot-outs always have an element of fortune to them, which didn't go our way this morning.